Advertisement.

EnchantedLearning.com is a user-supported site.
As a bonus, site members have access to a banner-ad-free version of the site, with print-friendly pages.
Click here to learn more.

ad
(Already a member? Click here.)

EnchantedLearning.com Mother Goose
Nursery Rhymes
Picture Dictionary

Archived Teacher's Forum: Early 2001
Teaching Nursery Rhymes

There are a lot of different approaches to teaching nursery rhymes to children and many different related lessons. This forum is a place where teachers and parents can relate their experiences (or questions about) teaching with rhymes (especially using the computer). Please add your techniques so that others can benefit from your knowledge and experience!

Click here to add your experiences, lesson plans, or questions.

For the teacher who wants to teach her kindergarteners about body parts: The song "Put your finger on ... (any body part)" can be a valuable tool in teaching children their body parts. Also "Head, shoulders, knees and toes." Simon says is a fun game to play to teach kids their body parts. Hope this helps. If you're teaching children about rhyming words, hold up a word and tell students to touch the part of the body the word rhymes with (for example, hold up the word keys and they touch their knees). Hope these ideas help.

from Katie Stone, Greensboro, NC, USA; June 29, 2001

I'm editing a children textbook, so if you have any ideas on games, songs, short stories, all created by yourself, do not hesitate in sending them to me. I will include your name and some other bio-date that you would like to be published. Also, send me you address so that I can send you a free book where you will the ideas that you contributed. My E-mail is: [email protected]

from Genaro Quisbert, La Paz, La Paz, Bolivia; June 28, 2001

I am very interested in knowing the true backround to all of the most popular nursery ryhmes. I would like to know where each particular song came from,when, who wrote each one, everything on their histories. I realize thats probably too much to ask, but I'll take all I can get.

from Lenny Joe. pasadena, ca, USA; June 27, 2001

I would like to get articles about "teaching rhymes for kindergarten" & "The benfits of rhymes" Thank you
my email is : [email protected]

from elsayed rashed, damanhour, Egypt; June 16, 2001

Is there a good site to teach pre schoolers and kindergarten about body parts? [email protected]

from Jessica, Oregon, USA; June 11, 2001

I need to know the name of these types of puzzles:

mind
_______
= mind over matter matter

or

under
_______
= I understand I

please email me as soon as possible with the answer please....

[email protected]

from michelle, Riviera Beach, Florida, USA; May 16, 2001

the math third grade lessons are really informative

from ?; May 11, 2001

Hi there, I am a mother who is searching for a teacher's poem to thank my toddler's teachers all the love, patiente and dedication for my kid. I would appreciate very much if any of you can give me an idea.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Laura. My mail is [email protected]

from Laura Laura Guarneros, Mexico City, Mexico; May 1, 2001

i need th song i want to be a bumble bee

from clarence, portsmoth, va, USA; April 18, 2001

My five year old daughter has to make a hand puppet for Prek using the nursery rhymn Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. I have no idea where to begin on doing this so we could do it together. Please give me any ideas, suggestions you may have that can be helpful. Look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks. My email address is [email protected] if you would please email me.

from Sheila, aberdeen, Maryland, USA; April 8, 2001

to ?,?; Thanks for your reply to my question about Ring Around the Roses

from ROZ, SCOTLAND; March 22, 2001

I would like to respond to Roz in scotland the BLACK DEATH from ring around the roses the ring is the circle around the faces of the victims pocket full of posies where they would throw the dead bodys in the middle of the street and people would walk around smelling the bodys and so they gave them posies so they would not smell the bodys.Ashes ashes were they would burn the bodys and all fell down everybody died

from ?, ?; March 20, 2001

Can anybody please describe the link between the Black Death and 'Ring of Roses'? Or do you have any info about other poems which I could relate to this middle age plague for a project?? thanks

from Roz, Scotland, USA; March 8, 2001

I would like to respond to Julie Tremble from Savannah, Georgia who wrote a note on February 15, 2001 in regard to phonemic awareness and phonological awareness. I have some ideas and resources that she may want. How do I go about getting her e-mail address to correspond with her?

from Millie D'Aguanno, Cranston. Rhode Island, USA; March 4, 2001

I don't know her e-mail address. You could post the information here or wait for her to possibly post her address. JC

i would likes lesson plans for nursery ryhmes asscociated with the season of spring

from Shirley Cassar, Northern Ireland, USA; March 2, 2001

I love your rebus rhymes! We have been doing "The North Wind Doth Blow" as a movement poem and the children love it.

The North Wind doth blow (sway arms like branches blowing)
And we shall have snow (wiggle fingers downward)
And what will the robin
Do then, poor thing? (spread arms out, question with your face)

He'll fly to the barn (flap arms)
To keep himself warm
And hide his head
Under his wing,poor thing (tuck arm around head)

The North Wind doth blow (same as above)
And we shall have snow "
And what will the doormouse "
Do then, poor thing?

He'll curl up small (stoop down and wrap arms In a tight little ball around self)
And hide in the barn
until spring, poor thing?

All movements should be done slowly and with a quiet voice. It's a very soothing poem and a great starter for talking about Feb. snows and March winds. Thanks again for the rebus(maybe you could add the 2nd verse).

from Rosie Armentrout, Balto., Maryland, USA; Feb. 24, 2001

Thanks, I've added the other verse.

In response to Laura Gaffey, asking about teaching Peter,Peter, pumpkin eater:- I did some work about pumpkins with my reception class (aged 4-5) last Autumn.Can I recommend the excellent picture book "pumpkin soup" by Helen Cooper as an exciting stimulus for discussion about pumpkins!The illusrations are fantastic and the story brings up lots of issues such as kindness, sharing, helping etc.My class fould it very exciting!We made our own pumpkin soup and drew and labelled the ingredients used.We also made pumpkin lanterns (it was Halloween that week) which led nicely into work about light and light sources.We were working on shape in maths at the time so made lantern faces using 2-d shapes made from sticky paper.We also painted pictures of pumpkins and learnt how to mix the colour orange from red and yellow. Good Luck!

from Mary Parker, Chester, Cheshire, UK; Feb. 21, 2001

I have been intergrating phonological and phonemic awareness in my classroom to enhance reading readiness. Is there anyone that I can communicate with on this subject. Would like to see more activities from Enchanted Learning on this subject.

from Julie Tremble, Savannah, GA, USA; Feb. 15, 2001

I am wanting a short script which 5-6 year olds could perform which include lots of nursery rhymes.

from Tracey Smith, Auckland, New Zealand; Feb. 3, 2001

I was wondering how to do finger movements,hand and arm movements,leg movements,foot movements, and whole body movements to perfom the rhyme Five Little Speckled Frogs for the children in my class that are 8 years of age?

from Marissa Lyons, Holland, PA, USA; Jan. 15, 2001

i would like to see more print out number pages along with ,, letters and hapes for 4 to 5 year olds thank you

from janet twigg, tiffin, ohio, USA; Jan. 10, 2001

Please let me know a little more about what you'd like on the printouts and we can develop them. Jeananda Col

Archived Rhyme Formun Posts
Current Posts Early 2003 Late 2002 Early 2002 Late 2001 Early 2001 1999-2000

BACK TO THE RHYMES

Enchanted Learning®
Over 35,000 Web Pages
Sample Pages for Prospective Subscribers, or click below

Overview of Site
What's New
Enchanted Learning Home
Monthly Activity Calendar
Books to Print
Site Index