Content Only Available to Members
This is a short, printable book about food and nutrition for fluent readers. There are pages on: nutrition, food groups, the food pyramid, grains, vegetables, fruits, milk products, meat/nuts/beans, healthy choices/daily exercise, and favorite foods.
- Read about the major nutrients in food. Sample Answers: carbohydrate, fat, protein, vitamins.
- Read about the food pyramid. Name the five main food groups. Answers: grains, vegetables, fruits, milk, meats and beans.
- Read about grains. Write four grain foods. Sample Answers: pasta, cereal, waffles, grits.
- Read about vegetables. Write four vegetables. Sample Answers: red pepper, kale, lettuce, cauliflower.
- Read about fruits. Write four fruits. Sample Answers: orange, peach, pear, plum.
- Read about milk foods. Write four milk foods. Sample Answers: cottage cheese, cream, Swiss cheese, sour cream.
- Read about meats/beans/nuts. Write four foods from this group. Sample Answers: steak, turkey, cashews, sunflower seeds.
- Read about healthy diet choices, moderation, and the importance of daily exercises. Write your four favorite physical activities.
- What are your two favorite foods in each food group?
For the Teacher:
There are 2 ways to use this book!
Read it online using the interactive viewer on this page.
Print the PDF to make a short book for young readers. Make sure the pages are in the right order. Staple the pages together at the left of the page, then read the book, and optionally color the pages.