Content Only Available to Members
This is a short, printable book about food and nutrition for fluent readers. There are pages on nutrition, food groups, the USDA food plate, grains, vegetables, fruits, dairy foods, proteins, healthy choices/daily exercise, and favorite foods.
- Cover page.
- Read about the major nutrients in food. Sample Answers: carbohydrate, fat, protein, vitamins.
- Read about the USDA food icon, My Plate. Name the five main food groups. Answers: grains, vegetables, fruits, milk, meats and beans.
- Read about grains. Write four grain foods. Sample Answers: pasta, cereal, waffles, grits.
- Read about vegetables. Write four vegetables. Sample Answers: red pepper, kale, lettuce, cauliflower.
- Read about fruits. Write four fruits. Sample Answers: orange, peach, pear, plum.
- Read about dairy foods. Write four dairy foods. Sample Answers: cottage cheese, cream, Swiss cheese, sour cream.
- Read about protein foods. Write four foods from this group. Sample Answers: steak, turkey, cashews, sunflower seeds.
- Read about healthy diet choices, moderation, and the importance of daily exercises. Write your four favorite physical activities.
- What are your two favorite foods in each food group?
For the Teacher:
There are 2 ways to use this book!
Read it online using the interactive viewer on this page.
Print the PDF to make a short book for young readers. Make sure the pages are in the right order. Staple the pages together at the left of the page, then read the book, and optionally color the pages.