This is a great way to make a really cute piggy bank out of papier-mâché. This project takes a few days (there is a lot of drying time between papier-mâché layers) and requires parental (or teacher) supervision.
- One balloon for each piggy bank
- A lot of old newspaper and/or brown-bag paper
- A paper egg carton (plastic ones won't work)
- Masking tape
- Flour-water glue (instructions below)
- Pink paint (tempera works well) and a brush or pink tissue paper
- One pink pipe cleaner
- A craft knife
- Optional – Plastic googly eyes
- Tail: Using a sharp crafts knife, make a small hole at the tail end of the pig. Insert a pipe cleaner into the hole, then shape the pipe cleaner into a spiral.
- Eyes: Make eyes with a marker or glue on plastic googly eyes.
- Nostrils: Make two nostrils on the snout with a marker.
- Money slot: Along the top of the pig’s body, carefully cut a slot large enough to fit any coin.
- Add decorations if you want to.