Content Only Available to Members
A short, printable book for fluent readers about US President Abraham Lincoln.
The book has pages on: his early life, early career, Congress, Lincoln’s Presidency, the Civil War, Lincoln’s legacy, and a timeline.
For the Teacher:
There are 2 ways to use this book!
Read it online using the interactive viewer on this page.
Print the PDF to make a short book for young readers. Make sure the pages are in the right order. Staple the pages together at the left of the page, then read the book, and optionally color the pages.
A short, printable book for fluent readers about US President Abraham Lincoln. The book has pages on: his early life, early career, Congress, Lincoln’s Presidency, the Civil War, Lincoln’s legacy, and a timeline.
Before reading the book, have students fill out a KWHL chart on Lincoln. The KWHL chart should be used before, during, and after a student reads about Lincoln. Filling out the KWHL chart prepares a student for reading about a topic, helps in reviewing what has been learned about the material, gives help in obtaining more information, and readies the student to write about what they have learned.
- Cover page.
- Abraham Lincoln was born in a log cabin in Kentucky in 1809. Answers: 1. Kentucky 2. Indiana
- Abraham Lincoln’s early career as a laywer. Answers: 1. Illinois 2. lawyer 3. Mary
- Abraham Lincoln serves in Congress. Answers: 1. US House of Representatives 2. Stephen A. Douglas
- Abraham Lincoln is elected President. Answers: 1. 1860 2. South Carolina
- The Northen states and the Southern states battle. Answers: 1. the North 2. two
- Lincoln died in 1865. Abraham Lincoln’s nickname is “Honest Abe.” Answers: 1. Washington, D.C. 2. penny, five dollar bill
- Fill in the blanks in this timeline of Lincoln’s life. Answers: 1809, Kentucky 1830, Lincoln moves to Illinois 1847, Lincoln elected to Congress 1858, Lincoln-Douglas debates 1860, Lincoln elected President 1863, Lincoln re-elected President 1865, Lincoln assassinated 1865, Civil War ends.